The following are some of the most popular and effective movements used in the 2017 CrossFit Games Open:
1. Front Squat – The front squat is one of the best exercises for building strength, power, flexibility and overall athleticism.
You can perform it with or without weight plates (weighted squats). Weighted squats increase your performance because they require greater coordination than unweighted squats. They also improve your balance, which will make you better at jumping and other athletic events.
2. Deadlift – The deadlift is a great exercise for developing explosive power, speed and endurance.
It’s also very useful for improving your core strength. A good way to train the deadlift is with free weights such as dumbbells or kettle bells. If you want to strengthen your back muscles, use weighted pull-up bars instead of kettle bells.
Another option is using bodyweight only exercises like pushups and sit ups.
3. Bench Press – The bench press is another excellent exercise for increasing muscular size and strength.
It’s also beneficial for improving your grip strength and stability. To perform the bench press properly, you need to keep your chest up throughout the lift.
4. Chin Up/Dumbbell Row – These two exercises are great for strengthening your upper body muscles, especially those that support your head, neck and shoulders.
Your neck and shoulder muscles are constantly working whenever you do a pull up or dip. Stronger neck and shoulder muscles improve your posture and make your body feel less tired after heavy physical activity.
5. Handstand Push Up – This exercise is one of the best upper body builders because it works on your entire torso.
It also helps improve your hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder strength. To make the handstand push up easier, you can do it on your knees. This puts you in a higher position which makes the movement less difficult.
6. Prisoner Squat – The prisoner squat is one of the best leg exercises because it strengthens your quadriceps and hamstrings.
To make this exercise even more effective, you can add ankle weights or hold a dumbbell between your feet.
7. Pull Up – The pull up is one of the best exercises for developing a strong and muscular back.
You can do it with or without assistance. Whether you use an assisted machine or have someone spot you, always try to pull up with your elbows towards your body and lower yourself in a slow and controlled manner.
8. Thruster – The thruster is the combination of a front squat and push press.
It’s a very effective exercise for developing explosive power and strength. It can also be done with dumbbells or kettle bells if you don’t have access to barbells.
9. Sit Up – The sit up is one of the best exercises for training your abdominal muscles.
You should always try to touch your knees with your elbows at the lowest point in the movement. Lower yourself in a slow and controlled manner to get maximum benefit from this exercise.
10. Jump Rope – The jump rope is an excellent exercise to improve your hand eye coordination, agility and footwork. It’s also very time efficient because you can easily do it for minutes every day.
To make it more difficult, you can wear ankle weights or do double or triples.
11. Pull Down – The pull down is a great exercise to strengthen your back muscles. You can do it with a cable machine or with weighted pulleys.
To make it more difficult, you can do weighted pull downs or use an assisted machine.
12. Suspension Trainer – The suspension trainer is a great tool for building strength and improving balance. It’s similar to the TRX system but more affordable and you also get a workout guide with program examples.
13. Dips – Dips are an excellent upper body exercise and your bodyweight is all the resistance you need to get a good workout. You can make them easier or harder by adjusting how far you are from the bars.
If your gym has dipping bars, you can also try doing one arm dips to make the exercise more challenging.
14. Pistol Squat – The pistol squat is one of the best exercises for developing your quadriceps and making your legs stronger and more muscular. You can also do this exercise with a dumbbell or weight plate on your shoulders.
15. Push Up – The push up is an excellent exercise for developing your shoulders, chest and core. It’s one of the best exercises you can do because it’s very functional and uses many muscles in your upper body.
You can make the exercise easier by doing a knee push up or place your feet on a stable object to make it harder.
16. Running – Running is one of the best ways to improve your overall physical conditioning. It strengthens your heart, lungs and muscles while improving your endurance and stamina.
You can make it easier or harder by changing speed and distance.
17. Jumping Jacks – Jumping jacks are an excellent cardio exercise that will strengthen your heart and lungs. They’re easy to learn and you can do them anywhere which makes them a great emergency exercise when you’re out of options.
18. Plank – The plank is one of the best core exercises you can do because it targets your entire midsection. It also doesn’t require any equipment and you can make it easier or harder by lowering/raising your forearms to the floor.
19. Push Press – The push press is a weight training exercise that combines the movements of a shoulder press and a squat. It primarily works your legs and shoulders but also improves your strength, balance and coordination.
To begin with you can do this exercise with a broomstick and light weight until you get the form down pat.
20. Pull Up – The pull up is one of the best exercises to develop your back, biceps and forearms. It’s also one of the most demanding exercises because it requires a lot of strength to do even 1 rep if you have a lot of weight to pull.
If your gym doesn’t have a pull up bar you can still do this exercise at home with some broomsticks or metal coat hangers and an overhead beam.
21. Walking Lunges – The walking lunge is a great lower body exercise that strengthens your quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes while improving your balance. It also improves muscle coordination and helps prevent knee pain or injuries.
To make it more challenging you can hold a medicine ball or weight plate to your chest.
22. Ab Crunch Machine – The ab crunch machine is one of the best core exercises you can do because it focuses on developing your entire midsection. You can make it easier or harder by lowering/raising your legs.
If your gym doesn’t have this machine you can do a standing crunch while holding a medicine ball to your chest.
23. Handstand Push Ups – Handstand push ups are an excellent upper body exercise that strengthen your arms, shoulders and chest. It also improves your balance and coordination.
The downside to this exercise is you need a high ceiling or you need someone to spot you. To begin with you can put your legs against a wall and do an incline push up until you get good at the exercise.
24. Barbell Curls – The barbell curl is an excellent exercise for strengthening your arms, especially your biceps.
Sources & references used in this article:
The success of CrossFit and its implications for businesses of all types by S Gomillion – 2017 – trace.tennessee.edu
Bicycling Maximum Overload for Cyclists: A Radical Strength-Based Program for Improved Speed and Endurance in Half the Time by J DeVore, R Wallack – 2017 – books.google.com
Camping for Children with Cerebral Palsy by E Scannell – 2017 – scholarworks.wmich.edu
Field notes from the Anthropocene: living in the back loop by S Wakefield – The Brooklyn Rail, 2017 – academia.edu
Comparison of Muscle Activity During a Ring Muscle Up and Bar Muscle Up by C Walker – 2017 – search.proquest.com
Movement Economy in Sports by M Clevenger – elitefts.com
Category: Programming by M Clevenger – louisvillestrongman.com
PAIGE WELCH by ABIS BORN, IVIC SPEAKS – 2017 – parrilloperformance.com