5 Athletes to Watch in CrossFit and the NPFL:
1) Josh “The Beast” Johnson – Formerly known as Josh Burdette, Johnson was one of the most dominant athletes in the history of powerlifting.
His raw strength was unmatched and he had a very high level of technical skill. He won multiple National Powerlifting Championships including Mr Olympia twice (2006 & 2008). After retiring from competitive lifting, he became a professional bodybuilder under the name “Beast”. Johnson’s physique is quite unique; he has a large amount of muscle mass but still maintains a slim figure due to his training regimen.
He is considered to have the best combination of size and strength.
2) Scott “The Beast” Jurek – A former college football player, Jurek competed in the NPC Nationals and placed third overall in 2006.
He then went on to win the NPC Junior Nationals in 2007 and placed second again in 2008. In 2009 he won the NPC Open, placing first. In 2010 he won the NPC Open again, placing fourth. Since retiring from competition, Jurek has become a personal trainer and fitness model specializing in bodybuilding.
3) Chris “The Beast” Spealler – A former gymnast and Division 1 athlete, Spealler is a decorated Crossfit athlete with many titles to his name.
He has won the California State Championship four times (2005, 2008, 2011, and 2012), the So-Cal Open three times (2006, 2012, and 2013), and the South Regional three times (2008, 2013, and 2016). He came in second place at the 2010 National competition and again in the 2011 National competition. His technical skills are without equal and his strict movement standards have set the bar for a new generation of Crossfit athletes.
4) Rich “The Man” Froning – One of the most recognizable faces in Crossfit, Froning is the undisputed champion of Crossfit.
He has won the Games championship four times (2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014). Since retiring from competition he has become an active advocate for Crossfit and its athletes. He was instrumental in Crossfit’s partnership with the US military and also developed a clothing brand called “Royal Elite”. He is one of the few “Crossfit Millionaires” (a term used for those who have made over $1 million from the sport) and lives a life of luxury.
5) Russell “The Sniper” Vinecky – An ex-Marine sniper, Vinecky served in the Iraq War.
He is one of the most decorated athletes in Crossfit, having won the South Regional three times (2009, 2012, and 2015) and the Online Qualifier twice (2010 and 2011). His technical skills are unrivaled by anyone in the sport. His incredible focus allows him to make shots that nobody else could even imagine. Due to his skills and service, the Marine Corps stationed him at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
He now owns and runs a Crossfit gym nearby.
Stay tuned for more episodes of 5 Athletes to Watch in __________ ! Next time we will be looking at 5 Athletes to Watch in Tennis and the ATP!
Google Image Search
CrossFit Seminar Staff
All other information came from Wikipedia.org.