5 Fantastic Exercises You Should Be Doing After 40:
1) Cardio Workout For Over 40 Men (Cardio Exercise For Women Is Also Included)
2) Strength Training Program For Over 40 Men (Strength Exercise For Women Is Also Included)
3) Weight Lifting Program For Over 40 Men (Weightlifting Exercise For Women Is Also Included)
4) Yoga/ Tai Chi/ Pilates/ Hatha Meditation Program For Over 40 Men (Yoga/ Tai Chi/ Pilates/ Hatha Meditation Exercise For Women Is Also Included)
5) How To Get Fit After 40: A Beginner’s Guide (How To Get Fit After 40: A Beginners Guide)
1. Cardio Workout For Over 40 Men (Cardio Exercise For Women Is Also Included):
The cardio workout for men is very simple. It consists of walking around with your feet firmly planted on the ground. If you are not used to doing it, then try it out first before going on with the rest of the workouts.
Walking around with your feet firmly planted on the ground will help increase flexibility and endurance.
2. Strength Training Program For Over 40 Men (Strength Exercise For Women Is Also Included):
In order to build muscle mass, you need to do some sort of resistance training program. Strength training is one type of resistance training program that helps in building muscle mass. To begin with, you need to do 5 sets of 10 reps of bicep curls and 5 sets of 10 reps of sit-ups.
As you get more into it, and assuming that you are able to do more than the required number of reps, add 2-5 pounds to the weight and repeat the process all over again.
3. Weight Lifting Program For Over 40 Men (Weightlifting Exercise For Women Is Also Included):
You probably know about this one already. This is a good weight lifting program for over 40 men (and women). The steps are simple:
1) Start with a dumbbell that is light enough for you to do 15 to 20 reps.
2) Once you are able to do the required number of reps, increase the weight.
3) Wait until you puke, pass out or die.
4) Go to step 1.
5) Yoga/ Tai Chi/ Pilates/ Hatha Meditation Program For Over 40 Men (Yoga/ Tai Chi/ Pilates/ Hatha Meditation Exercise For Women Is Also Included):
Yoga is an ancient Indian mind and body practice that integrates the breath and body movement with meditation and is claimed to be the path of enlightenment. Yoga works mainly on stretching, breathing and meditation. The stretching helps keep the muscles flexible and the breathing helps in calming the mind.
Here is a simple yoga workout that you can try out:
1) Sit with your legs crossed and hands on your knees.
Alternatively, you can lie down on your back.
2) Place your attention on your breath and abdomen.
Start taking slow deep breaths.
3) Feel your stomach go out as you breathe in and go in as you breathe out.
Do this for a minute or two.
4) Now perform the exercise given below:
a) Inhale deeply, feel the abdomen inflate and then slowly exhale.
b) Next, contract your ab muscles and hold that position as you continue to breathe normally. Hold this position for 10 seconds and then release.
c) Now repeat this process 2-3 times.
d) Increase the time to 15 seconds and then to 20 seconds.
e) Continue to increase the time as you progress.
f) Hold the position and continue to breathe deeply.
g) After 1 minutes of this, slowly release the contraction of the ab muscles.
h) Relax for a few moments before you do it again.
You can also lie on your back and do the same exercise except that you will have to contract only your upper torso (above the navel) inwards and hold it there. The same process of increasing the time interval for holding the position and then increasing it further applies here as well.
After you become more proficient at this, you can go ahead and try out the various other types of yoga as well as their breathing and meditation techniques.
6. Acupressure Program For Over 40 Men (Acupressure Exercise For Women Is Also Included):
This program works on the pressure points in your body. Acupressure is a traditional Chinese medical technique that involves applying pressure at specific points on your body to enhance the flow of energy in your body. It is useful in relieving pain and stress and improving overall health and well-being.
The various points that would be worked upon in this program are:
a) Massaging the sides of your big toes and the area in between your big toes using your thumbs. This helps to improve blood flow and relaxes the muscles in the area.
b) Pressing inwardly and upwardly against the sides of your thighs just below your knees using your thumb. This stimulates the digestive organs and improves their functioning.
c) Using both of your thumbs, apply pressure against the edge of each of your heels. This helps to stimulate the flow of energy in your body.
d) Using the ball of each of your palms, apply pressure against the soles of your feet. This helps to improve the functioning of your immune system.
e) Using your index fingers, apply pressure against your cheek bones just below your eyes. This helps to improve the functioning of your brain and enhances your vision.
f) Using the heels of your palms, apply pressure against the side of your jaw just below your ears. This helps to improve the functioning of your thyroid gland.
g) Using all of your fingers, apply pressure against your scalp. Start from the front and move to the back of your head and vice versa. This helps to regenerate each and every one of your brain cells.
Sources & references used in this article:
Isaiah 40-66: A commentary by R Bostock – 2020 – Penguin Life
One day my soul just opened up: 40 days and 40 nights toward spiritual strength and personal growth by C Westermann – 1969 – books.google.com
Western Intellectuals and the Soviet Union, 1920-40: From Red Square to the Left Bank by I Vanzant – 1998 – books.google.com
Client-centered exercise prescription by L Stern – 2006 – books.google.com
The encyclopedia of natural medicine third edition by JC Griffin – 2015 – books.google.com