5 Reasons to Eat Berries Every Day: Benefits of Blueberries
1) They are good source of Vitamin C.
2) They contain antioxidants which protect your cells from free radical damage.
3) They have anti-inflammatory properties.
4) They are rich in minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium.
These minerals provide energy for healthy bones and muscles.
5) They are high in fiber which helps control blood sugar levels.
Fiber slows down the absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream.
6) They are rich in phytochemicals which have antioxidant activity against cancer cells, viruses and bacteria.
7) They are rich in flavonoids which have anti-cancer activities.
8) They contain polyphenols which have antineoplastic effects.
9) They contain beta carotene which has been shown to reduce the risk of developing lung cancer by 30%.
Beta carotene is converted into vitamin A, which protects your eyes from cataracts and other eye diseases.
10) They contain ellagic acid which stops the growth of tumor cells.
11) They are low in calories. 100 g of fresh blueberries contain only 84 calories.
12) They are good source of pectin fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
13) They maintain the flexibility and firmness of your skin.
14) They are an excellent source of antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body.
15) They are high in potassium which is important for a normal heart beat, controls your blood pressure and helps to prevent muscle cramps.
16) They improve bone strength and prevent bone loss that may lead to osteoporosis.
17) Men who consumed more than 1.5 servings of blueberries everyday had a 30% lower risk of developing angina compared with those who ate less than ¼ serving a day.
18) They contain large amounts of vitamin K, which is important for normal blood clotting and helps in the formation of strong bones.
19) They contain melatonin, a natural sleep-promoting agent. Eating blueberries before bedtime helps you fall asleep faster and improves the quality of your sleep.
20) They are good for your teeth as they are high in fiber and minerals that prevent tooth decay.
21) They have strong anti-inflammatory effects.
Sources & references used in this article:
Original Paper Influence of Women Age on Berries Consumption: The Role of Liking and Properties of Berries as Determinants of Their Intake by M Lares-Michel, FE Housni… – Food Science and …, 2019 – researchgate.net
Retailers with a future by LL Berry – Marketing Management, 1996 – search.proquest.com
Digestive adaptations of Phainopepla nitens associated with the eating of mistletoe berries by GE Walsberg – The Condor, 1975 – JSTOR
The quality of school lunch consumed reflects overall eating patterns in 11–16-year-old schoolchildren in Finland by T Tilles-Tirkkonen, S Pentikäinen, J Lappi… – Public health …, 2011 – cambridge.org
Acculturation: When individuals and groups of different cultural backgrounds meet by DL Sam, JW Berry – Perspectives on psychological science, 2010 – journals.sagepub.com