Ketogenic Diet Benefits:
1) Lower Blood Sugar Levels – Low blood sugar levels are associated with many health problems such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, stroke, cancer and other diseases.
A low blood sugar level causes your brain cells to die off rapidly due to lack of oxygen. You will feel tired all the time. Your mental abilities may go down when you have a low blood sugar level.
2) Weight Loss – If you want to lose weight quickly, then a ketogenic diet is one of the best ways to do it.
People who follow a ketogenic diet lose up to 20% of their body weight within 6 weeks. They don’t gain any fat either. The reason why they lost so much weight is because they were eating less calories than usual and burning them off through exercise instead of storing them as fat.
3) Improved Brain Function – Ketones are very beneficial for the brain.
When you eat a high amount of protein, you get energy from proteins instead of carbohydrates. Protein helps your body burn stored fats and keeps your muscles strong. Keto diets are good for people who suffer from memory loss or Alzheimer’s disease.
4) Increased Energy Level – Ketosis increases the production of ketone bodies called beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB).
BHB easily penetrates the blood-brain barrier and is a more efficient fuel for your brain. BHB supplements have been medically proven to treat epilepsy in children. Therefore, people with epilepsy can enjoy all the benefits of ketosis without following a strict diet plan.
5) Improved Cholesterol Levels – High levels of triglycerides are linked to heart diseases, stroke and diabetes.
The fat content in your blood increases your risk of having a heart attack or a stroke. A ketogenic diet can help you maintain healthy levels of triglycerides in your blood.
6) Lower Chance of Cancer – A diet that is high in carbs and sugars increases your risk of developing certain types of cancers.
When you switch to a ketogenic diet you reduce your risk of getting cancer. Obesity is also linked to an increased risk of cancer. Therefore, a ketogenic diet is good for preventing obesity-related cancer.
7) Less Anxiety – Several studies show that a low-carb diet reduces anxiety in people with anxiety disorders.
8) Mood Stabilizer – A low-carb diet can stabilize your mood because it naturally reduces your appetite and decreases depression.
9) Improved Sleeping Pattern – Most of the time foods such as cereal, milk and apple juice are responsible for sleep problems since they contain high amount of sugar and they get digested quickly.
These foods also cause sudden spike in insulin levels and cause hypoglycemia. Your body becomes tired due to low blood sugar and you don’t get quality sleep.
A ketogenic diet provides you with a steady flow of energy during the day and keeps your mood stable. You are less likely to suffer from post-meal drowsiness, which can be a problem for people who eat meals containing a high amount of carbs.
Sources & references used in this article:
Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets by A Paoli, A Rubini, JS Volek, KA Grimaldi – European journal of clinical …, 2013 – nature.com
Ketogenic diets in the treatment of epilepsy: short‐term clinical effects by RH Schwartz, J Eaton, BD Bower… – … Medicine & Child …, 1989 – Wiley Online Library
The ketogenic diet: evidence for optimism but high-quality research needed by DS Ludwig – The Journal of Nutrition, 2020 – academic.oup.com