Dieting is harmful to your health because it causes weight loss without any significant benefit. You will lose weight, but you won’t get rid of those extra pounds. Also, when you start dieting, you may feel hungry all the time and overeat. If you continue with this behavior, eventually your hunger becomes so great that it leads to binge eating or even anorexia nervosa (an eating disorder).
The main reason why dieting is harmful to your health is due to the fact that it causes psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, stress, and other physical disorders. These problems cause you to suffer from many other issues like increased risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. All these conditions can be prevented if you don’t follow a diet plan.
However, there are some ways to prevent these types of diseases by following a healthy lifestyle.
Why Dieting Is Harmful To Your Health?
1. Weight Loss Causes Depression: Many people have been depressed after they lost weight.
They are unable to cope up with their new situation and become withdrawn. Some people experience severe mood swings which make them very unpredictable and dangerous to themselves and others around them.
2. Poor Concentration: Most people find it very difficult to concentrate on their work after they start dieting.
They lose control over their mind and become distracted very easily. This can cause many accidents at work and also force you to look for a new job.
3. Mood Swings: Many dieters experience mood swings which can lead to violent behavior.
You may get angry over small issues and your loved ones may not be able to handle you.
4. Lack of Confidence: When your weight goes up, you start losing your self-confidence which can lead to serious issues in the future.
You may not be able to communicate with people and you become more reclusive.
5. Trouble With Skin: Many dieters experience dry skin and itching all over their body.
They also suffer from rashes on their face and other places.
6. Sleep Disorders: Many people have trouble sleeping after they start dieting.
This can cause many other health issues and increase your risk of heart-attack or stroke.
7. Loss of Interest: You may lose all your interests in life after you start dieting.
This can cause you to become very lazy and sedentary which can lead to serious medical conditions.
8. Mood Disorders: Many people suffer from mood swings and depression after they lose weight.
They may become anxious or even suicidal.
9. Lack of Energy: When you start dieting, you will experience a lack of energy which makes all your activities extremely tiresome.
10. Obsessive Compulsion: Dieters are often obsessed with their weight. They are always concerned if they put on some weight and this can lead to serious issues like anorexia or bulimia.
11. Restless Legs: Many people experience the problem of restless legs when they diet. This causes them to feel a weird sensation in their legs and they are unable to sit or lie still.
12. Changes in Appetite: When you change your diet, your appetite may change as well. Some people have increased or reduced hunger pangs.
Others have no appetite at all.
13. Concentration Disorders: Many dieters experience issues like fuzzy memory, short term memory loss, lack of focus, confusion and difficulty in concentrating on their work.
14. Mood Swings: Another issue that many dieters experience is mood swings. They may feel depressed or start crying for no particular reason.
They may also feel overly sensitive or get annoyed very easily.
15. Changes in Bowel Movements: Many people change the type and frequency of their bowel movements after they start dieting.
16. Skin Disorders: Many dieters experience acne, rashes and other skin related problems after they lose weight.
17. Hair Loss: Many dieters experience excessive hair loss or thinning of hair after they lose weight.
18. Changes in Metabolism: Many dieters experience a sudden increase or decrease in their metabolism after they start dieting.
19. Changes in Libido: Many people experience a change in their libido when they lose weight. Some may start having increased sexual urges while others may lose all interest in it.
20. Mood Swings: There are many other symptoms like mood swings, lack of concentration and others which can cause you distress and make your life miserable.
Reasons to Avoid Dieting
Dieting is not always a good thing. There are many reasons why you should avoid it if you can. Some of them are mentioned below.
1. You Can Only Expect Short Term Weight Loss: As mentioned above, no matter what diet you are following, the fact remains that you will only experience short term weight loss and in all probability, you will put on more weight later on as well.
2. Dieting can lead to Deprivation Mentality: When you are on a diet, you are depriving yourself of certain foods.
This can lead to obsession about food and cause you to think about it all the time.
3. Dieting Can Increase Cravings: Many diets force you to have cravings for certain food items.
This can make sticking to your diet very difficult and can also lead to binge eating later on.
4. Dieting Increases Chances of Relapse: Most people who start dieting usually have a history of weight problems.
They start off with great enthusiasm but when they don’t get quick results they become discouraged and give up on their diet. As a result they gain more weight than they would have otherwise.
5. Dieting May Cause Bulimia and Anorexia: Most people who diet tend to get obsessed with calorie counting and food in general.
Some take their obsession to the next level and it becomes bulimia or anorexia.
6. Dieting Can Be Dangerous: Most diets are restrictive and even the so called healthy diets don’t provide your body with all the nutrients that it requires.
This can have serious repercussions like irregular heartbeat, loss of energy, low blood pressure and others.
7. You Will Be Disappointed: Most people who go on a diet to lose weight end up disappointed because no matter what they do they don’t get the results they desired or expected.
This could also lead to emotional and psychological problems.
8. You May Get Encouraged to Go to Extremes: There are some individuals who are more prone to go to extremes than others.
These types tend to get encouraged by the media and advertisements to go on severe diets like the HCG diet, master cleanser diet, tapeworm diet, apple cider vinegar diet and others.
As you can see, there are several reasons why you should avoid dieting if you can because it is not a good idea.
Other Factors to Consider
There are other factors that you need to consider as well before starting a diet. These include the following:
1. Your Diet Should Match Your Lifestyle: You cannot go on a diet if it doesn’t fit in with your lifestyle.
For example if you love eating meat and you go on a vegetarian diet then you will not be able to adhere to it for a long period of time.
2. Set a Realistic Target: You should go into a diet with a realistic target in mind.
Don’t expect to lose 10 pounds in a week because this is simply not going to happen. Instead you should aim to lose 1-2 pounds per week which is considered a safe rate of weight loss.
3. Create Your Own Diet: The best diet is the one that you design for yourself because it is the one that you are most likely to follow faithfully.
You need to think about your favorite foods, consider your dieting goals and then create a diet plan that takes all of this into consideration.
Some Tips to Help You Lose Weight
There are several things that you can do to lose weight. These include:
1. Eat a Nutritious Diet: You need to eat nutritious foods that enable your body to function at its best and give it the raw materials that it needs for energy.
Nutritious diet foods include lean meats, whole grains, vegetables and fruits.
2. Eat at Regular Intervals: Eating at regular intervals (grazing) is better for weight loss than eating 3 large meals a day.
If you eat 5-6 smaller meals a day then you are much less likely to feel hungry and you will automatically consume fewer calories.
3. Eat Slowly: Eat slowly and take time to chew your food properly.
This is important because it enables the body to send signals to the brain that you are full before you eat too much.
4. Avoid liquid calories: Liquid calories can add up quickly and this includes milk, fruit juices, soda, alcohol and others.
It is best to avoid them as much as you can.
5. Avoid Unhealthy Foods: There are many processed foods available in the market today that are not really good for your health no matter how much of it you eat.
These foods include refined sugars, white breads, pastas and others.
6. Avoid Eating when You are Stressed: Many of us have the habit of eating when we are stressed, tired or depressed.
When you do this you are creating a vicious cycle because the very act of eating is contributing to your weight gain. Start practicing healthy ways to deal with your stress such as exercising, meditating or going for a walk.
7. Exercise: You should try to incorporate exercise into your daily routine if you want to lose weight.
Exercising will increase your metabolism and help you feel better as well.
8. Get Enough Rest: Getting enough rest will ensure that your body has the energy it needs to burn calories and also helps in absorbing nutrients from the food that you eat.
9. Drink Water: Dehydration can cause your body to hold on to unnecessary water.
So make it a point to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day.
Following these tips will definitely help you lose weight in a natural and healthy way.
Choose the Right Supplements
Many people believe that by taking supplements they can lose weight much more quickly and easily. This is not true. In fact taking the wrong type of supplements for weight loss can actually be dangerous and cause some other health problem.
The right supplements can help you in your weight loss efforts by improving your overall health. For this reason, you should choose supplements that offer a wide range of benefits for your body rather than just supporting your weight loss goals.
One of the best overall supplements that you can choose is called African Mango Extreme. This supplement has been shown to improve your metabolism, reduce your hunger pangs, improve your digestive system and much more.
If you are interested in finding out more about African Mango Extreme then follow the link below:
African Mango Extreme
How to Lose Love Handles
There is no doubt about it, love handles are very unattractive. Most men don’t want to have a spare tire around their midsection, but it can be very difficult to lose. If you have been struggling to get rid of your man boobies, then here are some exercises that will help you to burn that fat much quicker.
Crunches: This is one of the most common exercises that people do to get rid of their love handles. The best type of crunches to do are called reverse crunches. To do these, lay on the floor on your bed and bend your knees and put your feet on the floor.
Make sure that your back is kept flat against the floor at all times. Put your hands either side of your head and slowly bring your chin towards your chest. Keep going until you feel a small stretch in your abdominal muscles, then slowly return to the starting position.
Side Bends: Stand straight with legs together and arms by your side. Slowly bend to the side as you breathe in. Then bend to the other side as you breathe out.
To make this exercise more advanced, you can put weight in your hands or hold onto a medicine ball.
Leg Raises: Lie flat on your back and raise your legs so that they are perpendicular with the floor. Keep them in this position as you bring your knees towards your chest. Hold for a second before lowering them back down again.
As this exercise gets easier, you can put your hands underneath your legs and raise them higher.
Riding the Bike: Lie on your back on the floor with your arms crossed over your chest. Raise your head off the floor and twist from side to side as if you are riding a bike. Go slowly at first and increase your speed gradually.
After doing these exercises for a few weeks you will notice a difference in the size of your love handles.
How to Get a Six Pack
To get that coveted six pack takes a lot of hard work. You need to eat the right foods and do the right types of exercise. The type of exercise that you do is very important because specific exercises are better for targeting certain areas of the stomach muscles.
Here are some exercises to get rid of your belly fat and get a six pack:
Crunches: Lie on your back on the floor with your legs slightly apart. Bend your arms and place your hands against your ears. This is the starting position.
Now slowly curl your shoulders off the floor, exhaling as you do so. Go up as far as you can without bending your legs or lifting your hips off the floor. Hold for a second before lowering yourself back to the starting position.
Reverse Crunches: Lie on your back on the floor with your legs straight and your arms either side of your head. Slowly lift your legs and torso off the floor until they are both at a 90 degree angle to the floor. Hold for a second before returning back to the floor.
If you find this exercise too difficult, then you can put your hands underneath your hips to help raise your torso.
To get even better results from these exercises you can do them one of two ways:
Vary your Position: You can change the position of your body when you do crunches. For example, you can do sitting crunches where you sit up against a wall and do the exercise from there. You can also change the position of your hands.
For example, you can place your hands behind your head when doing sit-ups. This changes the focus of the exercise on your abdominal muscles.
Add Weights: You can add weights when doing crunches by placing weights on your legs. You can also hold a weight in your hands and go up and down as you would while doing a sit-up. Adding weights increases the intensity of the exercise and gives you better results in a shorter space of time.
Some people do not have time to spend hours at the gym doing crunches and other abdominal exercises. They might also feel self-conscious about doing exercises in front of other people. Fortunately, you can do effective sit-ups in the comfort of your own home.
All you need is a little space and you can do your crunches there.
What Else Can You Do?
You can also do some other types of exercise to get a six pack. These exercises are a little different from the ones listed above, but they work all the same. An example of an alternative exercise would be to climb up and down the stairs in your house repeatedly.
Climbing up and down the stairs works your abdominal muscles as well as many of the other muscles in your body. This is a great way to get fit if you have not got much time to spend doing a wide range of exercises.
A Word of Caution
There is no point doing any exercise if you do not eat the right foods. It does you no good to work your abdominal muscles if you then go and eat a big mac. Eating a nutritious diet is very important if you want to get the best results from your exercises.
Getting a six pack takes time, effort and dedication. Remember that it is not unusual to fail the first time you try. Persevere and you will be rewarded.
Sources & references used in this article:
Dietary Guidelines for Americans by A You – 2015 – oaktrust.library.tamu.edu
Big fat lies: The truth about your weight and your health by G Gaesser, S Blair – 2011 – books.google.com
Dietary isoflavones: biological effects and relevance to human health by KDR Setchell, A Cassidy – The journal of nutrition, 1999 – academic.oup.com
Toward a new recommended dietary allowance for vitamin C based on antioxidant and health effects in humans by AC Carr, B Frei – The American journal of clinical nutrition, 1999 – academic.oup.com
Dietary flavonoids: intake, health effects and bioavailability by PCH Hollman, MB Katan – Food and chemical toxicology, 1999 – Elsevier
Dietary phenolics: chemistry, bioavailability and effects on health by A Crozier, IB Jaganath, MN Clifford – Natural product reports, 2009 – pubs.rsc.org
Potential health effects of the dietary flavonol quercetin by MGL Hertog, PCH Hollman – European Journal of Clinical Nutrition …, 1996 – agris.fao.org
Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet by FM Sacks, LP Svetkey, WM Vollmer… – New England journal …, 2001 – Mass Medical Soc
DIETARY CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACID IN HEALTH: Physiological Effects and Mechanisms of Action by MA Belury – Annual review of nutrition, 2002 – annualreviews.org